The coronavirus pandemic has exposed “systemic weaknesses” in global health systems, the G20 said Monday, but there was no mention of Washington’s contentious decision to halt World Health Organization funding.
The statement was made after health ministers from the 20 most advanced economies held a virtual meeting on Sunday hosted by the group's current president Saudi Arabia following criticism the institution was slow to address the pandemic.
“Health Ministers recognised that the COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted systemic weaknesses in health systems,” they said in a joint statement .
“ It also has shown vulnerabilities in the global community’s ability to prevent and respond to pandemic threats .
“Ministers addressed the need to improve the effectiveness of global health systems by sharing knowledge and closing the gap in response capabilities and readiness . ”
Reports from AFP show that the G20 statement was silent on US President Donald Trump’ s decision last week to cut off Washington's bilateral funding to the World Health Organization.
Trump has accused the UN body of mishandling the coronavirus crisis. The US contributed $ 400 million to the WHO last year.
United Nations chief Antonio Guterres has condemned the US suspension of funds, saying it was “not the time to reduce” the WHO’s resources .

Comments
Post a Comment
Share your thoughts with us