"Chibok girls will soon be forgotten by many" - Lai Mohammed
“But what is important is the safety and security of these girls.
The thrust of my statement was to assure the nation that we are on top of the situation.
| Lai Mohammed, minister of information and culture |
The minister of information and culture Lai Mohammed, has said that most Nigerians would soon forget about the missing Chibok schoolgirls as the effects of the newly released video is over.
The
minister who stated this at the presidential villa on Monday, August
15, 2016 added that the rescue of the girls had been a priority to the
current administration.
“Most people will forget
the issue of these girls as soon as the effect of this video is over but
the government is daily working on it,” he said.
“Until
the release of this video, the effort is not attracting any attention.
But every day, the office of the NSA and others concerned are working on
it.
“For us, it is not just because of the
release of the video but because of our belief that there will be no
final closure to Boko Haram until we are able to resolve the issue of
these girls,” Mr Mohammed said.
He maintained that
the government was in touch, and explained that adequate
steps were being taken to avoid engaging the wrong people.
“I
am talking from a point of knowledge. It does not matter what other
people say. I know that the government is in touch with the group.
“We
are just being careful and cautious to ensure that we are talking to
the right people, especially with the news that there is a split in the
leadership.
“Until you are able to ascertain the authenticity of those you are talking to, you don’t go into details.
“But what is important is the safety and security of these girls.
The thrust of my statement was to assure the nation that we are on top of the situation.
“We are not even just reacting to the video; we have gone far beyond the video in talking to the group already.”
Mohammed
said the government appreciates the role played by Bring Back Our Girls
Movement, but said a lot needs to be done behind the scenes.
“We
appreciate their commitment to the return of these girls but there are
few things we need to do behind the scenes“What we are saying is that
the government is committed to do everything to rescue these girls,” the
minister said.
Meanwhile, the convener of Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) organization,Oby Ezekwesili has said that the group would not hesitate to march to the Presidential Villa everyday if that would lead to the rescue of the abducted Chibok girls.
Ezekwesili made the comment following Boko Haram's new video showing some of the girls alive.